Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day - It's a family holiday

SEVERAL years ago, when our oldest two were in early grade school, my husband and I had planned to go out for Valentine's Day.  I remember one of the boys asking if Valentine's Day was a holiday.  I said, "sure, I guess so."  He then proceeded to ask if holidays were for families.  Well, he had something on me. I am very much a family gal - and I love traditions and holidays.  So, after thinking a bit, and anticipating the future for my three sons, I replied with an enthusiastic, "YES, Valentine's Day is a family holiday." And since that time, we have always celebrated together, the five of us.

Last year was a bit different.  Paul and I actually went out to dinner together as a couple for dinner.  The boys were all on a church retreat. Mind you, we hadn't been out to dinner together on Valentines' Dinner for years - and if we did, there were hamburgers and ice cream involved.  So, a nice dinner out was appealing.  Until we saw the lines and waited and waited.  Did I tell you how long the lines were?  CRAZINESS!  It was this very moment I really missed our family time - because together, it was always so simple, and dinner happened when we wanted it to.

This was the year I had been waiting for - the oldest two had girlfriends - and I knew their comments as little boys would come back to haunt them.  (I am a bit of a jokester....) So, I reminded them about a month ago that Valentine's Day was a family holiday and if they wanted to invite their girlfriends over - they could do that.  In fact, they could invited their girlfriends families over also.  We could have a fun dessert buffet - lots of chocolate and fruit :)

Well - I didn't really mean it, I couldn't honestly make my boys bring their sweethearts over on Valentine's Day. So,  I delivered my hand made valentines' to the boys...and bought milkshakes for those that stayed home....and cheerfully waited up for the ones who'd gone out. It's really the love we want....to know you matter to someone.  Flowers are wonderful, and so is good chocolate - but family.....nothing can compete!

No comments: