Thursday, December 13, 2012

Time for Change

Many changes in our lives over the last several months. Change is good. Change can be painful. Change forces us to take stock of what's important to us and make adjustments. And change is always nice to find in the laundry.

At the tail end of Thanksgiving break - I let my college sons know we thought we'd pick out a Christmas tree the following weekend if they wanted to join us. Every year we go out to a tree farm, hike through the mud, drink hot cocoa and "discuss" the perfect tree. Mind you, I use quotes because you can imagine what it's like for 5 people, who all have their own idea of the perfect tree, who have been raised to voice their opinion ...add to that we live in the Northwest, which means there are many varieties to offer. Since our college sons live close by, I thought it might be fun to go out together on the weekend. Little did I know this was another change.

Mark was very kind when he suggested he might not be available - so maybe we should just go and he would join us if he could. It turned into a bit of a lengthy conversation on independence and the pursuit of "doing my own thing." At one point, he asked if I could promise my feelings weren't going to be hurt. That's one promise I cannot make - but "I will do my very best not to manipulate you with my blubbering, bleeding heart" I reassured him. It started a series of changes for our family this season.

We planned to get our tree a little earlier this year as we had bumped up the date of our annual "Who-bilation Christmas Celebration" so the college friends who were still in town could come by for some festive atmosphere and homeyness before finals week. I had just about given up on going out to get a tree when my dear husband asked if he could just go get it while I was at a women's brunch. At this point, I didn't really care, our party was the next day - and I agreed.

When I came home, I opened the door to the most glorious smell and the perfect tree. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! Bonus, my shoes weren't muddy, my sanity in check and there it stood, our Christmas Tree. Thank you Jesus for this momentous occasion. This was the first year in our 22 years of marriage Paul did the hunt on his own. I asked him how it went, thinking maybe it was a sad moment. He said it was amazing. He went to two local tree lots, found the perfect tree in less than 15 minutes and his family still loved one another.

Later that evening while Paul was putting the lights on the tree, he tossed out another possible change. You see, over the years, we have given each of our boys their own ornament, with the notion one day they will have a tree of their own with decorations that reminded them of childhood. The tree decorating is full of memories and nostalgia we rehearse as we decorate. I LOVE that! Paul suggested we not decorate the tree as a family - but let the guests at the "Whobilation" decorate it as a fun activity. Have I ever mentioned how brilliant my husband is? Well, he's a smart one for certain!!

And there we were, with another change. This change, though a little painful, gave me greater peace this Christmas time. Can I ask, what is giving you peace this season? How are you welcoming change in your life?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are a sweet one!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story.